Chlorine Dioxide Water Treatment
Chlorine Dioxide is a highly potent disinfectant biocide commonly used in drinking water for Legionella control, process sanitisation, washing and other commercial applications.
Discover Activ-Ox - Feedwater’s patented instant Chlorine Dioxide dosing system that offers, simple, safe, efficient and highly adaptable disinfection solutions.
Why choose Activ-Ox for your Chlorine Dioxide system?
Chlorine dioxide is universally recognised as an excellent biocide and disinfectant for a wide range of applications because of its unique combination of properties. However, the traditional chemicals and generator systems used to produce it tend to be complex, expensive, difficult to control and are not well suited to the majority of applications. Activ-Ox®, by contrast, uses our unique chemistry and advanced dosage systems to provide you with the simplest, safest and most cost-effective means of enjoying the benefits of chlorine dioxide as your water treatment.
Activ-Ox dosing systems are available in a range of sizes each with a number of control options that make it uniquely suitable for treating practically any water system – from the smallest of domestic water system using <1m3/day to the most demanding of industrial applications using 1000’s m3/day.
Simplicity & Value
Our advance design combined with our patented chemistry mean Activ-Ox dosing systems are simpler and easier to install and use than other systems. There is no complicated gas generation or storage just robust engineering and great value for money.
As well as being the simplest and most reliable means of producing chlorine dioxide Activ-Ox systems are the safest because of our patented chemistry and the built-in safety features.
Unlike competitor systems, Activ-Ox chemicals don’t use strong acids and produce chlorine dioxide instantly in solution, our superior chemistry is also proven to give higher yields than conventional ClO2 systems.
Instant on-demand Treatment
The unique instantaneous reaction of the Activ-Ox chemicals mean that there is no requirement of a generator vessel, instead the Activ-Ox system uses a special reaction tee which both mixes the pre-cursors and injects the chlorine dioxide directly into the water stream being treated. Dosage control options include water meter, periodic (day & time), timed & batch and chlorine dioxide probe.
Drinking Water Approved
Activ-Ox is approved for drinking water treatment and is extremely effective at Legionella control. It has a very broad spectrum of biocidal activity where bacterial resistance cannot develop.
*Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use.*
Request a Free Consultancy Visit
Superior Water Hygiene
- Simple, safe and reliable
- Easy to control and measure
- Avoids taste, odour and taint problems
- Kills legionella and prevents Legionnaires’ Disease
- Extremely effective against biofilm
- Has a broad spectrum of biocidal activity without resistance developing
- Uses low hazard chemicals – no strong acids
- Gives a higher yield than other processes
- Approved for disinfecting and purifying drinking water
- Suitable for treating a few litres to 1000’s m3/day
- Unaffected by pH or hardness
- Supplied by a manufacturer with over 40 years’ experience
Bottling Plant Case Study
Dairy Foods Case Study
Feedwater is the manufacturer and supplier of Activ-Ox®chlorine dioxide dosing systems and chemicals which are inexpensive, safe and easy to use. We have hundreds of units installed across a wide range of applications from small domestic water systems to large complex and demanding industrial and food production processes. Chlorine Dioxide (ClO2) is becoming increasingly used for water purification because of its unique combination of properties: a powerful, yet selective oxidant and biocide, disinfectant and sanitiser. Read on to find out the many benefits of Chlorine Dioxide Water Treatment and why Activ-Ox is much better than stabilised chlorine dioxide solutions and tablets.
We now have new videos which cover Chlorine Dioxide Vs Other Oxidising Biocides & Activ-Ox Demonstration video with 3D animation.
For a look at Activ-Ox in operation watch the Dairy case study video, this is a large application using 2 Activ-Ox 4000 units to treat water coming from multiple sources for reuse on site.
What makes Chlorine Dioxide so Powerful?
Chlorine Dioxide has been called the idealbiocide because of its unique combination of properties.
- Potency– It is extremely effective at low dosages. Maintaining a continuous free residual of just 0.1 – 0.5 mg/l of ClO2 in a water supply has been shown to be effective in controlling a wide range of harmful bacteria and problematic microbes.
- Rapid kill– Chlorine dioxide disinfects and sanitises in seconds, where other microbiocides can take many hours or even days to work.
- Not pH sensitive– Unlike chlorine and bromine, which both become less effective as the pH of water rises, ClO2 remains an extremely effective biocide between pH 4 and 10.
- Effective biocide against biofilms– Because chlorine dioxide is a readily soluble gas which dissolves in water without forming ionic species, it is able to permeate and penetrate biofilms which are often relatively resistant to other disinfectants and biocides, such as chlorine. This makes ClO2 particularly effective in controlling and removing pseudomonas and other slime-forming bacteria which can cause major problems in systems such as cooling towers, heat exchangers, spa pools/baths and hot tubs.
- Potency against legionella– Chlorine dioxide is extremely effective disinfectant used for legionella control and inhibiting the microbial biofilms in which they tend to grow. It is recognised as an effective biocide and disinfectant to control the risk of Legionnaires’ Disease associated with hot and cold domestic water systems, cooling water systems, spa baths, hot tubs and leisure pools. (Read more aboutLegionella Control with Chlorine Dioxide)
- No Halogenated Disinfection By-Products (DBPs)-When chlorine dosing systems are used in the purification of drinking water that contains natural organic compounds such as humic and fulvic acids, it tends to form halogenated disinfection by-products such as tri-halo-methanes (THMs). Drinking water containing such DBPs has been shown to increase the risk of cancer. ClO2 works differently to chlorine; its action is one of pure oxidation rather than halogenation, so these halogenated DBPs are not formed.
- High Selectivity– Whilst Chlorine Dioxide is an extremely powerful oxidant, it has a lower reduction potential than most other commonly used oxidising biocides and disinfectants. This lower redox potential means that it is able to kill the microbes without reacting with other contaminants, often resulting in much lower dosage rates which can make it the cheaper alternative.
- No Taste, Odour and Taint Problems– Ordinary chlorine reacts with ammonium compounds to form environmentally damaging chloramines, which give the water an unpleasant taste and odour. Because chlorine dioxidedoesn’tform chloramines and other halogenated DBPs, it does not cause taste and odour problems in drinking water, and in process water there is less risk of tainted product. This means ClO2 is often used in drinking water purification and is the disinfectant and sanitiser of choice for water used in food and beverage production.
Why Activ-Ox® is the Best System
Traditional ClO2 generators and stabilised chlorine dioxide dosing systems are being used increasingly widely. However, the chemicals they use can be hazardous and the generator systems either complex and expensive or cheap and poorly manufactured – often sold by suppliers who just don’t understand chlorine dioxide. This means that many of these systems are not suitable for the applications for which they are supplied.
Activ-Ox® is Feedwater’s patented Chlorine Dioxide generation system. It is simpler, safer and much more effective than other ways of producing ClO2, such as stabilised chlorine dioxide dosage solutions and chlorine dioxide tablets. It is equally suitable for building services, food and beverage and industrial applications.
It can be used to treat anywhere from a few litres to 1,000s m3 of water per day and has also been incorporated into a unique chlorine dioxide foam cleaning process for surface disinfection and sanitisation. At the heart of the Activ-Ox system is our patented chemistry which enables us to produce a very high yield of chlorine dioxide (95%+), instantly using low hazard chemicals.
Download the Activ-Ox Explainer Brochure
Download the Activ-Ox 2100 – Eco Spec Sheet (0 to 100m3/day)
Download Activ-Ox 3100 Pro – Spec Sheet (0 to 500m3/day)
Download the Activ-Ox 4100 Multi – Spec Sheet (0 – 5000m3/day)
What applications can the Activ-Ox® Chlorine Dioxide System be used for?
- Chlorine dioxide water disinfection & drinking water purification
- Legionella control in hot and cold water systems
- Cooling tower and cooling water biocide
- Vegetable, salad and fruit wash water
- Disinfection and sanitation in food production and preparation
- Disinfectant for meat and poultry production
- Surface disinfectant and sanitisers
- Biofilm control and removal
- Sanitiser for dairies, creameries and milk production
- Brewery water sanitisation
- Oil field biocide
- Waste water disinfection and odour control
- Iron and manganese removal
- Control of hydrogen sulphide, phenol and cyanide destruction
- Anywhere chlorine dioxide treatment of water is needed
Think Activ-Ox is for you? Use the Contact Us tab above to discuss your requirements.
We are the ONLY chlorine dioxide supplier who offers this unique and highly effective product. We have over 40 years of manufacturing experience, and we manufacture a range of high performance, low cost dosing systems which are much simpler and safer than conventional ClO2 generators.